With ballots about to go out to voters, a series of videos produced by the League of Women Voters of Marion and Polk Counties on candidates and initiatives have been posted online and will begin airing on local radio and television.
“Your Vote Counts” features interviews with candidates for secretary of state, Legislature, as well as a guide to statewide ballot measures. The guide to the four statewide initiatives on this year’s ballot will air on Capital Community Media’s Channel 21 and can be found online.
Cindy Burgess, the league’s chairperson for publicity, said that the questions for the forums were developed with input from the American Association of University Women, Salem City Club and Salem neighborhood associations.
Working with Capital Community Media, the League of Women Voters also produced interviews with secretary of state candidates Shemia Fagan and Kim Thatcher as well as contenders for local legislative races. The videos are streaming online and on Capital Community Media at times that haven’t been scheduled yet.
They’ll also be aired weekdays on KMUZ 100.7 at 11 a.m. beginning Wednesday, Oct. 14, and will run through next week.
The schedule includes:
· Wednesday, Oct. 14: Secretary of state candidates Shemia Fagen and Kim Thatcher.
· Thursday, Oct. 15: Senate District 10 candidates Denyc Boles and Deb Patterson.
· Friday, Oct. 16: Senate District 10 candidate Taylor Rick and an explanation of ballot measures.
· Monday, Oct. 19: House District 19 candidates Racquel Moore-Green and Jacqueline Leung.
· Tuesday, Oct. 20: House District 20 candidates Paul Evans and Selma Pierce.
· Wednesday, Oct 21: House District 21 candidates Brian Clem and Jack Esp.
· Thursday, Oct. 22: House District 23 candidates Alex Polikoff and Sean Scorvo.
· Friday, Oct. 23: House District 25 candidate Ramiro Navarro.
Additionally, voters can use the League of Women Voters vote411.org website, which offers localized information on candidates, ballot measures, election events and how to register to vote. It includes information in Spanish and English.
Contact reporter Jake Thomas at 503-575-1251 or [email protected] or @jakethomas2009.
SUPPORT SALEM REPORTER'S JOURNALISM - A monthly subscription starts at $5. Go HERE. Or contribute to keep our reporters and photographers on duty. Go HERE. Checks can be sent: Salem Reporter, 2925 River Rd S #280 Salem OR 97302. Your support matters.